Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The finer things are free.... really?

For the past week, the temperature here in the North Georgia Mountains has topped out in the upper 20's. Today, I think we are really lucky, it is around 32. School was let out at noon today with the threat of snow approaching.

My house is a traditional brick ranch, built in the late 70's, with a full basement. Since we have so many children at home (5 when my step son is at home, which is every other week), we partially finished our basement into additional bedrooms and a small computer area. There is a bathroom too but it is a work in progress. (Literally)

Needless to say, since we have two levels to heat, it can get expensive if you don't get creative.

We have a wood heater in the basement and we use central heat for upstairs.

After opening numerous electric bills that were in the $300-$400 range over the years, everyone knows they better not touch the thermostat, unless they want to "draw back a nub" as my mother would say. It is to stay on 68 degrees, flat out.

As you all know, I have recently became unemployed, so over the past 3 or 4 days, I have given lectures until I am blue in the face to the kids about cutting back our extras. They seem to think if they can't stop every day after school to get $10 worth of snacks or on a whim, ask for $20 for the movies and not get it, that we are on the brink of disaster.

When I walked upstairs from doing laundry a few minutes ago, you can imagine my shock when the thermostat was up above 70 degrees and the little blue light that signals it is running on "overtime" was on. I (halfway) calmly turned it down and grilled each child on who did it.

Deny, deny, deny. Did I expect any less?

Well, since no one will admit to being the thermostat culprit, I decided to threaten taking the difference that is sure to pop on the electric bill from allowances. Now, one child stomped off, while the other rushes to her room, clinging to her cell phone for dear life, afraid that at any moment it might be gone. Ha, ha! The joys of parenthood.

One thing is for sure, the kids are all praying that mom returns to work soon, before life becomes somewhat of a disaster. You know, no cell phones, no eating out twice a week, no extra channels on dish or the "good" kind of shampoo.

Humm, I might just torture them and stay home for a while. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment