Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Doctor Mom


Tonight, I am undergoing one of the job descriptions that is at the bottom of my "like" list...doctor.

My fifteen year old daughter has a terrible stomach virus. It all developed very quickly after my teams' final basketball game this evening. On our way home, she told me that she felt nauseous and tired. I immediately thought uh-oh because one of her BFF's, Lauren, was out of school today with a stomach virus.

As soon as we got home, we were cleaning up-chuck- next it was the other end.

Now, you would think as a kid gets older, the sickness thing would get easier..well, I am here to tell you..it doesn't, at least not with my daughter.

I have ran back and forth from her bedroom at least a dozen times, emptying "the pot" that we keep near a sick child's bed. I have brought her Sprite, bottled water, a wash cloth for her head and repeated hugs and sympathy. She felt "nasty" due to the sickness, so I even had to bring her jammies to the bathroom when she decided to shower.

I am honestly about to scream. I am surprised that I have managed to even get this written without a "MOOOOMMMM" coming from her room. She is really a terrible patient. About an hour ago, she even "fell" in the hallway between her bedroom and the bathroom (it's about 6 feet between the two) because she felt weak. I tried to help her up but since she wasn't trying herself, I just let her lay there until she decided to muster the strength to get up.

Being a doctor stinks. If I have to risk the germs, experience the gross side effects and wait hand and foot on my patient, shouldn't I at least get the office fee and the priveledge of making her wait around in agony for at least an hour?

No comments:

Post a Comment